Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Baan Thai Restaurant

Last Saturday, it was a Mother-Daughter day and I thought it would be nice to have some Breakfast at Delifrance Bistro at Sandy Bay. I was imagining having Croissants and bread pudding for breakfast that morning. Little did I know when I reached there, it was actually a coffee house for Sandy Bay serving basic breakfast food such as nasi lemak, porridge etc. There were no Croissants or anything close to the Delifrance in KL. I was so sad and disappointed. I went out and I drove to Hillside to Bake and Take bakery for some croissants. instead. Another big disappointment, they no longer make the big croissants but miniature ones which on that day were very few on the tray.

So being hungry and disappointed now, I decided to have lunch instead nearby. Ended up at Baan Thai Restaurant along the row of houses that turned into a food business area along Jln Sungai Kelian.

First time being here so I tried to order as much dishes I could to try.

This is what I had

Belachan Rice

I was expecting the plate to have meat, mango slices around the rice. But it was served all in one, already cooked together. I did ask the waiter twice if he got my order correct. Guess this is how they serve their Belachan Rice here. Looked really like any ordinary Fried Rice. Taste wise, it had some belachan–ness taste in it. But somehow I did not really enjoy it cos presentation wise, I got all disappointed.

Green Curry

This was good. Gravy was very lemak-ish and it had a lot of green vegetables in it such as brinjals, long beans, cabbage. It was not so spicy so I could enjoy it without feeling my tongue burning.

Seafood Otak Otak

It was served in a round shaped tin foil. They used cabbage leaves to give the backbone support for the shape. Pretty creative. It had a lot of goodies in it, such as prawns, fish and squid. Taste wise, I loved it. Very tasty indeed. You could even taste the Kaffir Lime leaves in it. And it was lemak too and the spicy-ness I could tolerate.

Deep Fried Kang Kung

This was good. The batter was nice and tasty and I noticed that it has sesame seeds in the batter.

Som Tam Salad

This dish is made out of young papaya slices made as a salad dish that had fish sauce, lime, peanuts, chilli and other ingredients in it. Some places even pound in small little crabs together. Taste wise, it was good but extremely spicy for me. I specifically asked the waiter only 1 chili padi allowed but it came served with 6 chilies in it. Ahhhhh!!!!! Rocket Fuel for me. Naughty waiter, your not forgiven!

House Special Beancurd

Beancurd used was Japanese Beancurd cooked with some minced meat and a special sauce. It was alright for me.

So these are the 6 dishes which I manage to try. I guess I would be back here again to try out other dishes. So I shall have a part II to this post sometime soon.

Road Map to Baan Thai

Baan Thai Home Thai Restaurant

No. 27 Jalan Sungai Kelian,

11200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang

Tel: 04-8997211

Opening Hours: Lunch- 11.30am to 2.30pm

Dinner: 6.30pm to 10.30pm


No comments: