Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Restaurant Zim Sum

This Dim Sum place is super huge. Place is called Zim Sum Restaurant located along Anson Road just opposite KDU college. If I am not mistaken, this Dim Sum place used to be along Macalister Road. It was my first time here and I got a shock with the amount of people here...madness!!! But was lucky that day to get a nice table just at the end where it was much cooling and quite.


It's no wonder why there were so many people here. The variety of Dim Sum this place had was unbelievable. There was so much to choose from that I got so excited and sort of over ordered ~typical me~

This is the fried goodies cart

Since there were so many people, and it took sometime for the aunties to come with the carts, a lot of customers just walked up to the counters and helped themselves pick what they want to eat. Sort of self service I would say. So I followed the crowd and carried my tray around. One thing I found out about this place, they trust their customers when it comes to paying the bill. Before leaving your table, you call the aunty and she'll do her magic count of the plates on the table. So I was thinking, the place is so crowded, they wouldn't even realize if a customer slowly sneaks out without paying or if a customer hides some plates on another table. Hmmm so anyways this is what I tried out. Was rather hard to communicate with the aunties though.

This siew mai looking had prawns, crab stick and onion leaves in it. Nice and juicy.

This is the prawn dumpling. It was good. Very tasty and juicy inside and had a lot of prawns.

Lor ma kai which looked so-so. Don't know how it tasted as it was someone's order. But no complains from them so I guess it's passable.

Left; is a plate of sweet sour pork. Not too bad. Then right; is the siew mai. Soft and juicy with a strong pork taste. Others said it was realy good, but for me, that strong pork taste kinda got to me.

This is another dumpling with prawns, crab meat and coriander leaves in it. I didn't quite like it as I hate the coriander leaves taste. But I guess if you like coriander leave, this is something good to try.

The this is a green siew mai which I do not know what meat it was. Probably prawns or pork. Quite good and again, soft and juicy.

This is the Hong Kong style chee cheong fun. It was ok for me. You can choose to have it plain, with pork or prawns.

This is the siew pau. I hope I got the name right. Well anyways looking at the picture, you should know what I mean. Well this siew pau was gorgeous. The pastry was so good that it melted in your mouth (pastry probably has pork oil in it) . It is really good. A must try, missing it already.

On the left, a bowl of char koay kak or also known as fried carrot cake. It was so-so for me. Then on the right is a picture of the egg tart. Another good thing to try here. Pastry is soft, yet crunchy and it melts in your mouth. But I feel the egg custard is abit on the sweet side. ...but who's to complain, it's still good for me.

The egg tarts hot from the oven!


Top plate; is a plate of fried fish. Something like fish and chips. If you are wondering why of all dishes I took that, well I was in a fishy mood that day. Been craving for my fish and chips in Green Lane for sometime, so thought this would have helped with the crave. Bottom plate; is the fried prawn thingy. It was rather oily.

Then I tried a bowl of Sharks Fin soup (minus the sharks fin of course). Well it looked good but taste wise it sucked. Please don't ever order this. It was so weird tasting, so not what a sharks fin soup suppose to taste like.

Oh did I mention they had alot of huge buns. I know one was the char siew bun, the other with the lotus paste and another just like the butter bun at Wong Kok. Didn't try any but I think in my next visit I shall try it out.


So lastly, a lot of people have mentioned that the wan tan mee here is good. So made my try with it. How it turned out for me........I didn't quite like it. It tasted totally different than the ones I normally have. I guess here it's cooked a different style, Hong Kong maybe??? But Ed liked it.

And since Ed did the Wan Tan Mee ordering, knowing he can never run away from his chicken and pork, he ordered a plate of chicken and siew bak to go with the wan tan mee. Both were so so for me.

So with all that I tried, I would say not a bad dim sum place to go for breakfast. Well let me re-phrase that....not a bad place to go for a HEAVY breakfast.










No comments: