Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ecco Cafe, Chulia Street


Finally I have tried this place. Ecco Cafe located at 402, Chulia Street just nearby to Blue Diamond has been a place which a friend had once told me about which I never had the chance to try out. Then after reading a post from a blogger what2see, I really HAD to try out this place. And since it was that time of month where my cravings go wild, I dragged my parents out for lunch one Saturday.

The cafe is in an old shop house which you find along Chulia Street. Place is quite small and simple with no fancy decorations. Kinda gives you a nice backpackers feeling when you eat here. They even play nice soothing oldie songs for you to get your mind off from all the traffic noises outside. Come here and you will know what i am saying here. Place is opened daily for brunch, lunch and dinner except Sundays (11.30am to 2.30pm & 6pm to 10.30 pm).


What made me try out this place is the pastas which everyone had been talking about. And since a friend of mine told me it was good, I had to take his word for it. PS: came here for the second time in a week but this time I dragged Ed along.

Menu variety here is quite impressive with a lot of choices for you to choose from. And by reading through each dish, it made me feel that the chef here really knows what he is cooking. So as we carefully selected what to order, I got my eye set for this pasta dish called Truz-cajun spiced chicken, bananas in a creme sauce. Sounds really unique rite? At first I thought how would bananas taste in a cream pasta? As weird as it sounds the pasta turned out to be really good. Double thumbs up for this. Pasta was really creamy and rich. Oh i am already starting to crave this.

Truz Pasta

Next pasta dish was the Pesto Pasta-pesto sauce made from basil, garlic & olive oil. It was so so for me as it did not have enough garlic or taste to it. Had more of the olive oil taste. But if you are the type who likes this pasta version, you'd sure love it.

Pesto Pasta

Then we also tried a tomato base pasta called Salvatore-salami, olives, mushrooms, onion, basil, tomato sauce. It had a very generous helping of salami slices and olives in it. Taste wise it was good. Very strong tomato taste with a hint of sourness. Next time I'd be sure to try their Bolognaise Pasta.

Salvatore Pasta

And the last pasta dish was under the chefs specials, Lemon-Infused Chicken-chicken fillet, lemon slices, capers, mushroom, herbs, in a cream sauce served with a side of pasta. Well after ordering it then I realized it was more of a chicken dish then a pasta dish. But I still liked it. Chicken fillet was really "lemon infused"which really does suit the name of the dish. It had thinly sliced lemon skin in the sauce. Awesome!

Lemon-Infused Chicken

Apart from Pasta they also have Pizzas which I got to see the chef tossing the pizza base up in the air. It was cool. Pizza base here is thin, so when it is served it is nice and crispy on the edges. I got to try two types of Pizza. First was the Ecco Pizza-Tomato, capsicum, aubergine, onion and basil. Although the fillings were simple, the pizza tasted good. Thumbs up. The second pizza I had was called Hawaiian- Turkey ham, olives, capsicum, onion & pineapple. It was good also.

Ecco Pizza

Hawaiian Pizza

Now comes the dessert. They only have one type of dessert available which is the creme brulee. So since me and my mum were on a creme brulee search, we ordered to try it out. Creme brulee came in coffee flavor and boy was it superb! It was so good that we had to order another one. It is a must try!


Creme Brulee

For drinks we tried out the lassi drinks. We ordered a pineapple lassi and black currant lassi. They use Sunquick cordials for the flavor but it was very refreshing. Drink is served blended style as they blend the drink and ice cubes together.

Pineapple and black currant lassi

I am so glad that I finally tried out this place. This sure going to be in my list when I crave for pasta again. You should really try out this place.

3 comments:

Nami said...

cher...you are killing me here. the pasta looks so good!!

Eve said...

Hello Edzil~
I stumbled upon ur blog while searching for information on Ecco cafe! hahah

Anonymous said...

The last place you want to go! Even the coffee tastes like shit. The pictures portray the food looks tempting but in actual fact it is not. Waiting time to get the food on your table is ridiculously 30 minutes.

Strange that my friend is so supportive of the shop. Kept telling me the place is cosy and the music played is sensational which I find it otherwise.

Well. guys don't take my word for it. Drop in there....seeing is believing!