Monday, September 15, 2008

Strada Restaurant


This is a newly opened restaurant which can be found just opposite Tan Mark Bookstore in Pulau Tikus. Strada is owned by a married couple who stayed in Vancouver for many years before deciding to come back to Penang to open this restaurant. The wife, a former chef from Four Seasons Restaurant in Canada, heads the cooking here.

There are quite a lot of variety of food found in the menu. Let me try and name a few interesting ones which caught my attention

Seafood Risotto RM 29.50
Almond Crusted Cod Fish served with special yogurt bechamel
Grilled Duck Breast with pumpkin mousse line sauce RM 27.50
Chicken Roll with special stuffing RM 22.50
Ratatouille Pizza RM 15.50
Creme Brulee RM 9.50
Brownie with Orange Sorbet RM 10

Their signature dessert here which they emphasized to us is the New York Cheese Cake, Chocolate Brownie and the Creme Brulee.



Came here during lunch time so this is what me and my parents tried.

Caesar Salad
Would not call this a Caesar salad but more of a Thousand Island salad. It did not have that Caesar salad taste to it.


French Onion Soup
Expected something better. Soup tasted rather blend. Big disappointment.


Seafood Risotto
It was my first time ever trying a Risotto. So cannot say much if it is categorized as good in the Risotto league. But I certainly enjoyed it. It was very creamy indeed and sticky. There were huge prawns, mussels and salmon in the rice. Very tasty for me. But you cannot eat a lot as you get filled up halfway through.

Seafood Quesadilla
It was stuffed with seafood such as salmon, prawns and mussles in a special sauce. But found it missing the Mexican kick...needed a stronger taste to it. Something was missing...don't know what exactly.


Steak with mushroom sauce
This was pretty good. Steak was nice and tender and cooked just the right way, medium rare.


Chocolate Mouse
This was good. Had a rich chocolate taste. Portions rather small though.

Creme Brulee
We seem to be in a creme brulee hunt here in Penang trying to find a place that sells good creme brulee matching with Italiannis standard. So far have not found any yet. So if you do have any good suggestions do write to me in my comment section at the end of this post.

The creme brulee here had more of an egg taste. Seems it did not have enough cream in it. The texture of it was rather hard and not smooth...it does not melt in your mouth type. So I would rate this 6/10. But it is certainly much bigger than Sire Museums portion.


Chocolate Molten cake
This was quite good. Had a rich chocolate taste. Served warm. So when you dig in, the middle is filled with melted chocolate fudge.



Before I forget, they also have affordable set meals for lunch and dinner. Quite a lot of choices to choose from. So I would certainly consider to come back here again to try out other dishes and of course aim for their chocolate desserts.

6 comments:

CK Lam said...

You could try out the creme burlee at Ecco Cafe shown on my August post.

Edzil and Cheryl said...

CK, Have tried out Ecco last weekend but have not posted in my blog yet. Tried the creme brulee and it was good.

peter man said...

Thanks for writing about Strada. I'm the chef owner there, and I appreciate all your comments about our foods. Two things need to be clarified, though. I hadn't worked in Four Seasons Vancouver. I mentioned that hotel to you and your parents when I talked about my chef instructor at the culinary school. He used to be the executive pastry chef in F. S. Hotel in Toronto and Vancouver. And he's now the executive pastry chef in Ritz Carlton and JW Marriot Beijing.

The second thing is that the soup you took photo of is not our French Onion Soup. In fact, it is our soup of the day--Onion Soup-- which comes with the set lunches. Our set lunches only cost RM 12.95 and RM 18.95. The French onion soup is available in our ala carte menu, and it costs RM 9.50.

Again, I thank you for reviewing our restaurant.

Anonymous said...

You may try out the Creme Brulee at Annabelle's Place (which is situated at Casa Permai). And her tiramisu also taste good too. :)

Anonymous said...

Strada is nice place to dine. The price on the menu is quite steep and the portion they served is ridiculously small.

Been there a few occasions but I don't know what happened to our lucky draw. Maybe, we weren't so lucky afterall.

Back to the food, the steak is good which I had tried. My friends would agree!!!

The sad thing about this place is not many diners patronise the restaurant. There must be something wrong but what? We came to the conclusion that the menu is quite limited in choice.

Worth your try!

Joe said...

The food looks great. I love eating out at one of the Strada London branches, I wonder if they have anything to do with this Strada?