Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Duck Rice


We recently found this place that sells wonderful duck rice. It's an old corner coffee shop at the end of Cheong Fatt Tze Road facing Carnavon Street. We've been here 3 times already and Ed has managed to 'bond' with the uncle. In our last visit, we got to know from the uncle that he has been selling his duck rice here for over 25 years. Uncle also sells Char siew, Siew Bak (Pork) and chicken.


Place is quite small but there is always a queue of people lining up ordering to pack. Unlike most duck meat i have eaten that tasted so dry and tasteless, I found the duck meat here to be very tasty (strong spice taste), juicy and tender. We had a chance to watch the uncle slicing open the duck's stomach area which was stuffed with ginger, garlic and other unknown ingredients which I could not tell/see what it was. But boy you should have seen the amount of juice that came squirting out from the stomach area while the uncle was slicing it open. No wonder the meat was so juicy!!


Now with the pork, I enjoyed the pork meat (Siew Bak) which was juicy, salty and it did not have that pork taste which I hate. Halfway eating, it got me missing the pork I had in Philippines!. The Char Siew was so so for me. It was basically sweet for me and rather black on the outer layer.


What I liked here was that they served a special black sauce to eat together with the duck meat. This sauce tasted sweet and salty, almost like Hoisin sauce. The chili sauce served tasted like those from the chicken rice shops with garlic in it. Rice here was plain white rice with some black gravy poured on it. I must say we both shall certainly be visiting this uncle often. Thumbs up for this Duck Rice shop.

No comments: