Thursday, March 19, 2009

Blue Reef Fish & Chips

Finally I made it here to this restaurant. It has been 4 times already where plans to go here were canceled in the very last minute ever since the place opened. So with a few of my colleagues, we were here on a Friday after work for dinner.

Place is rather small so it would be best that you make your reservations the day before. I expected the place to look a bit like Manhattan Fish Market, but it was just plain and simple.

Looking through the menu, I found that there is actually more drinks than food. Food choices here were quite limited. 8 main course, 3 pasta and 5 starters.

To begin with starters we ordered ourselves the soup of the day (Potato and Leek Soup), Calamari Rings and Ceasar Salad.

The potato and leek soup was not that wonderful. It was rather diluted and had not much taste in t. We were a bit disappointed by it.


The Calamari Rings were good. See the picture above and it will get your mouth watering.

Ceasar Salad was good and tasty also. Just the right taste to it.

Since the shop was called Blue Reef Fish & Chips, we tried out both choices of fish and chips- Battered or Crumbed. What was new to me was that I never knew the Westerners eat their Fish and Chips with salt and malt vinegar. The waiter asked us which we would prefer, homemade tartar sauce or malt vinegar. We took both in the end to try it out.

For me I did not like having the fish with the malt vinegar, I still preferred the homemade tartar sauce which was lovely.

Between the crumbed and battered, I preferred the crumbed. But I did not quite enjoy the fish because it had a strong "fishy" taste. Halfway eating, the fishy-ness taste got into my head and I started to become real jelak of it.

Fish & Chips- Battered

Fish & Chips- Crumbed
sorry, picture was taken from the website as I totally forgot to take a pic of this

Other than the usual fish and chips, they also have fish served with buttered rice. You get to choose from steamed fish with a choice of ginger & soy sauce or sweet & sour sauce.


Steamed fish with ginger & soy sauce


Steamed fish with sweet and sour sauce

Address: Blue Reef, Permai 32, No. 22 Lebuh Permai 4, 11200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: 604-8999128


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went there several weeks ago on recommendation from friends. The fish was soggy and "fishy" like you found out. Have been hunting for real fish 'n chips here but haven't found any yet. Most are soggy probably because the fish have been defrozen. This makes the batter soggy. As for Blue Reef, been there, done that and will never do it again. Not worth the drive from the other side of the island.

Keep writing. I come here when I want new places to eat.

Edzil and Cheryl said...

Hi Tan,
Have you tried the fish and chips from Francis Western food? It is the corner coffee shop at the Pulau Tikus Traffic lights crossroads. Do try his food. It's quite good, but you must have some patience to wait. His fish and chips is not too bad either. Garlic Bread is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Went there once but it was closed. My regular western food place is Fettes Park Western Food (next to Fatty Loh). Nice ambience, good and cheap. Grilled salmon RM13, grilled lamb chops RM13. We go there at least 2-3 times a month. Be prepared to wait 20-30 mins on weekdays. Don't even try on weekends. Tried Sri Ananda in Tanjung Bungah for Indian yet?

Edzil and Cheryl said...

Hi Tan,
Francis is closed on Monday's. But if you are looking for cheap and good western food, then Friancis would be slightly more expensive.

Yes I have been to Sri Ananda's. I love the food there.

leslie said...

G’day, I’m Leslie from Penang.cc (Penang Community Centre). I enjoy reading your articles and would like to request permission to feature the article on Blue Reef Fish & Chips in our website (for more info visit http://www.mrain.com/pgcc/content/view/178/48/). In addition, we will like to extent invitation for your participation in our Bloggers’ Appreciation Programme (find out more at http://www.mrain.com/pgcc/content/view/158/69/). Join us to participate in our invited reviews for travel destinations, dinnings, product & services etc., at the same time receive exclusive deals & prizes for your readers. Kindly email me at leslie.loh@penang.cc for more information. TQ