Wednesday, March 10, 2010

CNY Makan Part 1 - Sri Batik Nyonya Cafe


Chinese New Year makan part 1.
First day of Chinese New Year, the family gathered and we all booked a table at Nyonya Batik (formerly known as Nyonya Cafe) at New World Park for a nice 8 course dinner.

Place was packed and service was rather slow. But the boss apologized so it was alright. They were short of staffs anyways. So an hour later dish No 1 came.

Dish 1: Yee Sang
Aunty did the mixing of the various "powder spices" on the salmon and yee sang. Once done, it was time to "loh". We did pretty good and manage not to spill any off the plate. Yee Sang was nice.

Dish 2: Four Season
I only enjoyed 1 of the dishes as the rest weren't my favourite. We had octopus (geli to eat it), deep fried mussels (again I geli to eat it), Jelly fish (geli also to eat it) so I wouldn't know how those 3 dishes tasted like. I was left with the fried wan tans to eat which were good. I was hungry already so anything goes well for me.


Dish 3 : Abalone Soup
The soup had a strong pepper taste to it mixed with a seafood kinda taste. It had abalone slices in it together with fish maw. Was ok for me.


Dish 4: Herby Duck
The gravy of this dish was superb. Had a nice sweet herby taste to it. However the bad side of it, the duck meat was rather tough.


Dish 5: Stuffed Crab
There were a lot of things stuffed, however not much crab meat in it. The special sauce was good!


Dish 6: Deep Fried Prawns
This was my favourite. Prawns were huge and coated with a lovely crispy batter layer. Wonderful. If only I could have had all of the prawns on the plate. But unfortunately I only had 1 piece to eat.


Dish 7: Ju Hu Char
Ju Hu Char this time was a bit disappointing. It didn't quite taste like how it should taste like. Was rather sweet in taste and had crab meat in it. Perhaps the chef changed it slightly for this special CNY meal.


Dish 8: Glutinous Rice wrapped in Lotus Leaf
This was good. Had dried prawns and bits of pork meat in it. A nice dish to finish off to make you full.


Dessert: Bo Bo Cha Cha
It was served hot and I am not much of a hot dessert person.


The whole 8 course dinner came up to RM 600+. Expensive?

No comments: