Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cafe Kheng Pin

For lunch we decided to hop over to this coffee shop found along Penang Road and at the corner of Jln Bawasih. Dad recommended to try the the Lor Bak, Char Koay Teow and Chicken Rice.

Coffee Shop was packed with people. We were lucky to get a place to sit. There were about 7 stalls selling which were; Chicken Rice, Char Koay Teow, Koay Teow Th'ng, Lor Bak, Wan Tan Mee, Chinese Satay and Century Egg Porridge. The Char Koay Teow and the Lor Bak stalls were in the Rasa Rasa book.

Ed ordered the Chicken rice, Lil Panda jean ordered the Char Koay Teow and I had the Wan Tan Mee. For side orders I ordered 10 sticks of Pork Satay and Lor Bak.

The Lor Bak stall apart from the common fried stuffs they had something different, 2 types of fried squid. One was the whole squid fried (size of your middle finger) and fried tentacles of the squids. I ordered the prawn fritter, lor bak, fish, taufu and the whole squid. The Lor Bak dish came first so we ate it. It was good. Fish and prawns were fresh. Taste was excellent. The squid on the other hand wasn't wow. The fried batter covering the squid was broken away and the squid was left all nakedly white in front of us.
Lor Bak with the nakedly white squid

Then came my Wan Tan Mee. It was good and up to my standard since I can be quite fussy when it comes to the type of black Soya Sauce they use. This was perfect tasting. The Wan Tan was also soft and juicy and had a reasonable amount of meat fillings in it.
Wan Tan Mee which was good

While waiting for Lil Panda's Char Koay Teow I was boasting to Jean that I spoke in Hokkien to place the order. I said, "Aunty, Char Koay Teow chi ley, chiak, mai hum, hair nui" Jean was impressed. But 5 minutes later the funny thing happened. The aunty came up to me and spoke in English, about my order again. Cis.....looks like she didn' t understand my hokkien after all. There goes my "kembang-ness" as Ed and Jean laughed.

Char Koay Teow which tasted so so by Jean

Pork Satay arrived and I kept quite not telling Jean that it was pork until she ate a stick then only I told her (jean hates pork). But cis again, she knew it was pork. Satay was ok only. Not wonderful. It was marinated the usual serai way and served with the peanut sauce. I still prefer my Satay Babi man at Bangkok lane.
Pork Satay. Nothing much to brag about

The Chicken Rice, Ed was disappointed as it wasn't up to his expectation. It looked good but taste wise he didn't like it. But alot of people were ordering it.
Ed looking all disappointed with his Chicken Rice

So, we recomend you to try this place one day for the Wan Tan Mee and the Lor Bak. We shall be back again to try the Porridge and Koay Teow Th'ng.
The damage on the table done by Jean. Look at that cheeky smile of hers.

No comments: