Saturday, March 22, 2008

1 Day Trip to Ipoh, Part I - Breakfast

Yesterday, Prophets Muhammad's Birthday was a public holiday so the swift club members decided to make a 1 day trip up to Ipoh. There were suppose to be 6 cars from Penang, but in the last minute of the meet up time, only 3 cars came. What a bummer. Anyways we still proceeded the plan with just 3 cars. Left Penang at 7.30 and went straight to Ipoh.

First stop was to this coffee shop for FOOD! Shop was named Kedai Kopi Kong Keng, located at the old Ipoh town area. Actually it is the coffee shop just beside the one we normally go to which sells the custard caramel. Coffee shop had a variety of food sold. It had the Ipoh Hor Fun, Chicken Rice, Lor Bak, Assam Laksa, Wan Tan Mee, Chee Cheong Fun, Kangkung with sotong, Satay, Popiah, Curry Mee and Beef noodles.

Kedai Kopi Kong Keng

This place here is famous for its popiah rolls so we ordered two types, the normal one and the deep fried one. Portions were huge. Popiah taste was different from the Penang ones. There was a strong taste of that sweet black sauce in the popiah. By the look of the picture you can clearly see the sauce in and on top of the popiah. Also you can find bean sprouts "taugeh" in the popiah. Taste wise it does remind me of the mamak popiah I once ate at Swa Tow Lane. As for the deep fried one, ingredients are all the same except the popiah is mixed with some batter and tossed in the hot oil to fry. Taste wise, the batter somehow had a weird stale flour taste which sort of put me off.

Normal Popiah

Deep Fried Popiah

I got the popiah aunty to pose for me

Ed tried the wan tan mee here which was recommended by a swift member. Wan Tan Mee had a strong sesame oil taste "Muar Yu". Instead of giving sliced char sui, it was served with pork ribs "Pai Kut". Then if you want the wan tan itself you have to order it separately. Wan Tan was rather small but texture wise, it was nice, soft and smooth. Tasty also. Wan Tan Mee was a good try. Something different from the normal ones in Penang. Now this is going to be Ed's new spot to have his Wan Tan Mee when we come back to Ipoh again.

Wan Tan Mee Uncle

Wan Tan Mee with pai kut

Wan Tan

Me on the other hand tried the Ipoh Hor Fun. After eating it I told Ed to remind me never to order the Ipoh Hor Fun ever again. I don't know why, the more I eat it, the more I feel that it's actually very blend in taste. But I guess the idea/vibe of eating the Ipoh Hor Fun always gets to me that I would always opt to order this dish. Anyways this Ipoh Hor Fun I had here was OK. Like normal to the rest which I have eaten. It had the Koay Teow noodles, slices of chicken, sliced prawns, 'ku chai' vege in it in a bowl of soup which had quite alot of oil floating around. But this oil is what makes the soup tasty.

Ipoh Hor Fun

So this is what we had for breakfast here in Ipoh. Part II in next post.


Old switch still in use in the coffee shop


*** An important note, never go to the toilet in this coffee shop as it's filthy dirty.

No comments: