Friday, March 28, 2008

Perut Rumah, Nyonya Cuisine


A new eating place along Jalan Kelawai just slightly opposite Gurney Hotel. It is an old herritage Bangalow house which turned into a Restaurant called Perut Rumah which sells Nyonya food. When I stepped into the restaurant, I was amazed with the set up of the place. It was very cozy indeed and had an old fashioned style which somehow matched the type of cuisine they have.




A new eating place along Jalan Kelawai just slightly opposite Gurney Hotel. It is an old herritage Bangalow house which turned into a Restaurant called Perut Rumah which sells Nyonya food. When I stepped into the restaurant, I was amazed with the set up of the place. It was very cozy indeed and had an old fashioned style which somehow matched the type of cuisine they have.

They have quiet a good variety of Nyonya dishes served in their menu. My first visit here, I only managed to try out 6 dishes and 2 desserts. These were as following.

Chicken Curry Kapitan. It was average for me as it did not have a strong intensity of taste. Mamas' Restaurant (along Abu Siti Lane) served better for this dish.

Chicken Curry Kapitan

Perut Ikan (Fish stomach). It's not my kind of dish but comments from my parents were that Mama's and Nyonya Breeze (Along Abu Siti Lane) was better with this dish.

Perut Ikan

Hong Bak- Pork cooked with aromatic spices. This was good for me as it was my first time tasting such a dish. It had a sour taste to it which just added to my liking. It's sour because there's vinegar in this dish. Also it has fermented soya beans (Tau-cheong) which adds a unique taste to it. Somehow this dish reminded me of Philippines food.

Hong Bak

Kerabu Bok Nee. This was disappointing as it did not have much taste and the there was no intensity of the kerabu sourness taste. Mamas' Restaurant much much better for this.

Karabu Bok Nee

Jiu Hoo Char. Another disappointing dish as my grandma's taste even much better. Intensity of the taste was not there. Once again, Mamas' restaurant better.

Jiu Hu Char

Acar Hu- Pickled fish. This was good. Just the right sourness. The fish here is deep fried and then cooked in vinegar which has turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, chilly and sugar mixed to create a pickle like taste. Superbly good, however pretty pricey as this dish alone cost us RM 21.00. That adds up to RM 3.50 for 1 small fish.

Acar Hu

For dessert, they have a few to choose from such as, Pengat (bo bo cha cha), Gandum, Bee Koh Moi, Peanut soup, Sago and a few other more. That day unfortunately they only had Gandum and Bee Koh Moy prepared. Gandum was ok, not too sweet and the Bee Koh Moy was ok for me - I preferred Mama's Restaurant.

Bee Koh Moy

Gandum

For the amount we ate, the bill came up to RM 123.00. Pretty expensive!! They charged us for RM 1 for each serving of rice in a small bowl and RM 1 for a glass of plain water. Unbelievable!!
But anyways a new place to try out. Had quiet a crown there that day. I guess they were all trying out the new place. Would I go back here again? we'll see.....maybe for the RM1 for 1 Acar Hu......but can't say they may be good for other dishes which I've yet to try.

*** To read my previous post about Nyonya Breeze, you may click this Link: Nyonya Breeze

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there but I still prefer the food at mama's n hot wok. Theres no passion in cooking in this Perut Rumah.

gill gill said...

sounds aint a good choice for nyonya food in this preut rumah, not only your blog, but others as well. Oh, you reminds me, long time didn't pay Mamas a visit :)