Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Red Chopsticks @ I Avenue

Sunday we tried out this Red Chopstick Restaurant at I Avenue for lunch. They sell all sorts of food, well to be exact, they have varieties from fried rice to steam rice to Roti Jala to Satay Kajang to Pan Mee to Nasi Lemak to western to Assam Laksa and the list goes on. Dessert on the other hand the same. They have chendol to leng chi kang to bo bo cha cha to that sticky icky glutinous rice balls to bee ko moi to thai dessert (tab tim krop) , to all sorts of other shaved ice desserts. It's abit hard to decide what to eat here.

Well anyways, I was in a nasi lemak mood so ordered myself Nasi Lemak with rendang chicken. Serving portions was reasonable for the price of RM 8.90. Had a piece of rendang chicken, a slice of otak otak (this was good), acar, half egg, sambal and peanuts. Rice on the other hand wasn't lemak enough- failed in that area. How was the nasi lemak..? oookkkaayy la. Nothing wow except for the otak otak

Nasi Lemak with Chicken Rendang

Ed ordered sweet sour fish rice with an egg. Portion was way small for him. It didn't look interesting for me and true enough it was so so for him. I guess he just ate to kill his hunger.

Sweet Sour Fish Rice with Egg

As for side orders I ordered a spring roll otak otak. Now this was something interesting. Instead of those normal popiah-chi this had otak otak in it. And since the otak otak in my Nasi Lemak was good, this spring roll was good for me. Had quiet a reasonable amount of fish flesh in the rolls and it really had that good smelling, taste of otak otak.

Otak Otak Spring Roll

As for dessert, we ordered millionaire pancake, bo bo cha cha and Chendol. Now this millionaire pancake was unusual but it didn't quite fit my taste. The batter is somewhat like those ban chang kuih (pancake) batter, but instead of cooking like the ban chang kuih shape this was cooked in small round thick shapes. It had banana, sweet corn and sesame seeds in it. Reason why I didn't like it cos my enemy, sweet corn was in it. Euughhh....

Millionaire Pancake

See the amount of sweet corn it had

Bo Bo Cha Cha looked good, but taste wise, Ed said commented that the one at the Pulau Tikus night market taste better. So i take his word for it. He's the bo bo cha cha expert.

As for me I took the Chendol without Red Beans. It was ok for me just like any chendol taste. But I got jelak halfway and passed it on to Ed to finish up.

Bo bo cha cha

Chendol with no red beans

Then the following day, Monday went here again with my collegue after our training. This time I ordered their hand made Pan Mee. Now this was a big shocker for me......the mee was so huge, fat and uneven. When I was served I thought the bowl had lots of fish slices, mana tau it was my mee. I guess this is one genuine 'handmade' pan mee......I think they do not have that noodle flattener in the kitchen. Not to sound bad but food presentation does matter alot. Know what I think....they made the mee batter, used their hands to flatten it as much as possible and dumped it into the boiling water. Taste wise, wasn't near to tasting like a Pan Mee dish. Big dissapointment.

My colleagues on the other hand ordered this steam rice dish. Rice was served in a wooden like small basket with a cover. And in it was your rice mixed with chicken and all...looked something like claypot rice. looked pretty cool. Taste wise no comments from my colleagues.

Dessert I tried a dessert which had kiwi and mango slices with abit of honey dew cuts served with shaved ice which was topped with some mango puree and abit of santan. Pretty unique. Taste okla. Something refreshing for a hot afternoon.

So maybe my third trip next time, I will try their Satay Kajang which the lady had highly recommended. Shall see how that turns out.


Picture of the entrance. See the pictures on the left window, those are the many variety of desserts they serve

No comments: