Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pang (Hainan) Seafood

Celebrated Grandma’s birthday yesterday at Pang (Hainan) Seafood Restaurant at Tanjung Tokong. This place was formerly known as Craven Café which was taken over by a bistro pub which also closed down and now replaced with this restaurant. Talk about some bad Feng Shui there, I must say the current restaurant is doing well with the number of customers they had yesterday which was a weekday.

Uncle from KL came down with his wife and two kids. Had like a mini Yew gathering which I’m sad to say is very small. Aunty from US was not present, but it does not make any difference as it would only be one extra head count.

Well back to the restaurant, this is actually a seafood place I used to go at Teluk Bahang. Back there I knew it as “Ah Pang” seafood. Then recently found out that they have moved up to this place. They should be doing well now as they can afford to take in more customers than their previous small lil kampung house by the beach.

We had sweet and sour crabs (5 of them), fried prawn mantis in oat, curry lala, baked scallops, tofu and fried maggie mee for the kids.

We ordered 5 crabs thinking that crabs may be small and not enough. But we were wrong. Crabs were so huge and fleshy. Imagined myself in heaven eating the crabs. But…yes there’s a but here….was disappointed as the crabs, no doubt fleshy, did not have that sweet crabby taste. I think the crabs were too huge…or maybe the chef didn’t do a good job with the cooking. Big disappointment for me comparing to those other times I had when they were at Teluk Bahang.

Fried prawn mantis in oat was ok only. Cooked the same way you have your nestum prawns. Nothing wonderful to brag about.

Curry lala was a bit on a spicy side for me. But me not being a lala eater, I can’t say much about the dish.

Baked scallops, another disappointment. When I read ‘baked’ on the menu I thought of melted cheese on the scallops. Scallops looked so good when it was served. But when I scrapped the scallop off the shell and put it to my mouth….what taste I got??…tartar sauce!!! WTF…….where’s the melted cheese????
Tofu was normal. Nothing wow to brag. But their fried maggie mee was good. So in summary, dinner was disappointing for me. What happened to their standard last time? Maybe I’ll need to go back there again and try other seafood dishes. Maybe we all did not order their specialty dishes. So till my next visit…hang in there.





Pang (Hainan) Seafood



Big Crab....no pls don't eat me



Sweet and Sour Crab....muahahhaa crabs been cooked. Show no mercy


See how fleshy. Huge claws


Fried Prawn Mantis with oat


Curry lala


Baked Scallops...white sauce like texture is not melted cheese but tartar sauce


Tofu

The mess made


The Yews


Grandmas Birthday Cake

No comments: