Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Canton-I, Queensbay Mall


A new found restaurant in Queensbay. It is called Canton-I. It is under the same management as Dragon-I. However it has a different menu which they serve noodles, rice, congee, dim sum and some wonderful looking deserts. You can find this restaurant just next to KFC.



Since it has opened I have been here twice. So this is what I tried so far.

Noodles with Pork
Since part of the frontage of the restaurant was an open kitchen, you could see all the barbecued meats hanging waiting to be tried, so I ordered myself wan tan noodle with 2 choices of meat.
The first plate I had it with Japanese pork ribs and roasted pork (char siu). Second plate I had it with roasted pork belly. All 3 were good, but if I would say which I liked the most it would be the char siu followed by the Japanese pork ribs.

Japanese pork ribs and roasted pork (char siu)

Roasted pork belly

Rice with goose Meat
Ed could not resist his temptation to try out the goose meat here, so he ordered himself a plate of rice. To his disappointment, it had a lot of fat that after scrapping it all off, he was left with a small amount of meat. He complained his regular duck rice shop is still da best.

Rice with goose Meat

Rice with Pork
A friend of ours ordered himself a plate of rice and 2 choices of pork meat. He ordered the chai sui and roasted pork ribs. Meat was tasty.

Char sui and roasted pork ribs

Congee
Tried out two types of congee here. First was just plain congee which we had it with yu char kuih.
I was so amazed to see how smooth the congee was. It was as if they blended the rice. The second congee we tried was with deep fried intestine. This actually my Dad tried and after eating it he said that New Lane one was much better and tastier.

Plain Congee

Some fried stuff to eat with your congee

Yu Char Kuih

Yu Char Kuih in Congee

Congee with deep fried intestine
Cheong Fun
Again, I tried out two types of chee cheong fun. First was with huge prawns and the second one was with pork. It was tasty but salty for me.

Prawn Chee Cheong Fun

Chee Cheong Fun with Pork

Wan Ton Dumplings
Soup was really salty.

Wan Ton Dumplings

Sui Mai
Since there is Dim Sum on the menu, I opted to try their sui mai. It was pretty expensive though for just 4 of those. Taste wise it was so so only.

Sui Mai

Crispy BBQ pork bun
I can't really remember the exact name of this but it was basically the BBQ pork pastry. Pastry was a puff pastry with many fine layers. It was very brittle that when you try to carry it up, the layers sort of come out individually. After battling with my fingers to perfectly take a bite, I was quite disappointed as it did not have a strong BBQ pork taste which I was expecting. My mind was set to have it tasting like Wong Kok's, but no. It was very mild in taste and had not much pork meat in it.
Crispy BBQ pork bun

Mango wrapped with a layer of glutinous rice and topped with shredded coconut.
This was under the dessert menu. Seeing the picture in the menu caught my attention to try it out. In my first attempt, this was sold out. Luckily in my second visit it was available. How did it taste, well nothing wonderful about it. It's just a slice of mango wrapped.


Mango wrapped with a layer of glutinous rice and topped with shredded coconut

After much pigging here, the bill came out to be a bomb. Well it is pretty expensive here, but comparing to Dragon-I prices, this is much affordable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your review on Canton-i. I have yet to visit this place.