Thursday, January 22, 2009

Smoky Jack Ribs and Steak House


I have been eyeing on this place ever since I saw it being renovated. Finally made a trip here today to check it out. It is a new restaurant called Smoky Jack which can be found along Upper Penang Road. It is just next to Sega Fredos. It is under the same management as Tao Sushi. What caught my eye was the sign of ribs and also the weird woody-look-like-tree-roots it had at the entrance.

Inside the Restaurant you would be amazed by the way it is designed. It is very dark and how they did it up really made it one of a kind. Today my pictures turned out lousy but this is what I manage to salvage of the inside of the restaurant.



On the left is a round container like, space ship kinda thing which you can also sit and eat.

Inside the Restaurant it pretty dark and this is how it looks like. It still has the tree roots everywhere on the wall. The chairs here, I name them cocoons as don't they just looks like cocoons. Cool eh??

The cocoon tables

You would never guess what this is.......it's actually the ceiling!! They use old wooden doors and windows to cover the ceiling. Pretty interesting.

After settling down in an oval table, I read through their menu. They had more drinks on the menu than food. They had appetizers such as calamari, duck breast, prawn cocktail, etc. Then they had Beef Ribs and Pork Ribs on the menu followed by steaks, chicken and pasta. After giving not much of a thought, I got my mind made up to try their Texas Beef Ribs.

But before the ribs came, we ordered two soups and an appetizer

Bread
We were served with some bread and we had 3 types of butter to choose from. You can have plain butter, garlic butter or the last one I think olive oil with basil.


Mushroom Soup
It was good. Even though it did not have that strong mushroom taste in it, it was creamy and tasty. Also it had a lot of onion slices in it too which made it different.

Mushroom Soup

Boston Clam Chowder
The puff pastry was really good but the soup was disappointing. It was creamy but kinda tasteless.

Boston Clam Chowder

Fried Basil Calamari
This was a disappointing appetizer. They used the normal squids to fry and it had more of the fried batter then the squid itself. Where were those huge calamari rings i want!!! Anyways the "squid" was served with some tomato salsa and tartar sauce and it absolutely had not basil taste in it.
Fried Basil Calamari

Texas Beef Ribs
The highlight of the night. Serving portion was huge. It had two ribs covered with a thick layer of meat. Ribs were grilled and coated with their special BBQ sauce. Taste wise it was alright, but meat wise, could it be because I had mine medium well, some areas of the meat were hard and dry. And I could even get some burnt taste in some areas of the meat. Since it was dark, I couldn't really tell if it was burnt in some areas. But anyways it is worth trying this beef ribs. For the amount I had, it only cost me RM 43. Much cheaper to TGIF and Chillis ribs.

Texas Beef Ribs

For dessert, the waiter brings out all 5 desserts for you to choose from. They have tiramisu, apple crumble, mango pudding, cheese cake and coconut pudding, I think. Since we were so full, we took only a Tiramisu to share. Tiramisu was soaked with a lot of liquor and it was really creamy. But halfway eating, I could get some sour gassy taste in the cake areas. Don't know if it was too much liquor or something in it was turning bad. But I ate it all up, so if I can still blog after eating it, it must have been fine.
Tiramisu

For what we ate, i find the food prices here pretty reasonable. They even have set lunch for around 20+. For the cool atmosphere you get, it is pretty worth it. It a great place to chill out, eat and gossip. I shall be back here for more of it soon.

Smoky Jack Tel: 604-2628826
Website: www.smokyjack.com (still under construction)

8 comments:

Food Paradise said...

wow.... the interior looks very nice. When we went there few weeks ago, they are still under renovation. The foods look very delicious. I am eyeing on the ribs. lol Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl Wee said...

I received their flyer today - went to their website but it's still under construction.

Couldn't find any other reviews other than yours so thanks for the sharing! I was thinking to consider this place for v-day dinner but other than the atmosphere, I don't think the food's worth it :P

Anonymous said...

The almosphere and the pictures of foods are really attract me much to have any idea to celebrate my hubby's birthday (26-June) there. Hopefully the restaurant is completely renovate and in smooth business in June'09. ;-)
Let me know if got special discount for birthday "king"! ;-P

andulooz said...

the waitress and services are really bad..as i was just went on last Friday~~

cariso said...

I had a bad dining experience there. :(

Anonymous said...

Wow the interior was nice and good for celebrating occasions like birthdays though it was dark ..The onion ring and the pork rib was nice, should give it a try! We celebrated our friends birthday there and it was a memorable day for all of us including a 3 year old toddler!

Samantha Wei said...

i've been there before...my bf and i went there for his 25th birthday celebration and the food that they recommended were great...after dinner we head down to the clubs which is just nearby...that night was awesome for me and my bf...

Leslie said...

G’day, I’m Leslie from Penang.cc (Penang Community Centre). I enjoy reading your articles and would like to request permission to feature the article on Smoky Jack in our website (for more info visit http://www.mrain.com/pgcc/content/view/196/48/). In addition, we will like to extent invitation for your participation in our Bloggers’ Appreciation Programme (find out more at http://www.mrain.com/pgcc/content/view/158/69/). Join us to participate in our invited reviews for travel destinations, dinnings, product & services etc., at the same time receive exclusive deals & prizes for your readers. Kindly email me at leslie.loh@penang.cc for more information. TQ